Saturday, June 24, 2006

New front brake + bottle cage holders

A little over 1000 miles so far and still lovin' it ! Two days ago, I installed the new roller brake for the front wheel myself. I'm not a bike mechanic, but it only took me 20 minutes, so it cannot be complicated at all ;-). This brake actually uses the disc mounts on the front fork, so this one should be stronger than my previous one.


I also installed 2 water bottle cages on the XP. As you can see in the pictures, I attached the cages to the sprint braces of the seat. This position allows you to grab the bottles in a much easier way than if they were attached to the back of the seat, it feels more comfortable this way. I'll keep them there for a while ....


The short cranks have arrived, but since I do not have the tools, nor the knowledge to remove and install a BB, it'll have to wait until next week, when it'll be done in my bikeshop. The cranks came with 3 chainrings, but since I'm only going to use 1 , I already ordered a 38-tooth ring to go with the new cranks.

2 comments:

Tincéir said...

Interesting front brake. My search for drum brakes has led me to the SRAM i-Brake, which seems to have a decent amount of braking power. I'm curious how your new front brake works out; please let us know!

allewedertje said...

I also looked at the I-Brake, but since it's not compatible with my Shimano dynamo hub and its brake arm cannot be mounted using the disk brake braze-ons, I went for the BR-IM75F.
So far, I like it very much. It is more powerful than the BR-IM70F it replaces. A little bit noisier when braking hard, but now I can lock the front wheel, if I want/need to.