Saturday, April 11, 2009

New headset

Since I took the XP out of its wintersleep and started riding it, I noticed some drag in the rear disc wheel. Last week I stopped by at my bikeshop to have it checked out, only to find out that the Shimano discs are self centered and can't be adjusted. But they discovered that the spokes of my rear wheel needed to be tensioned, which probably caused the drag of the disc. Since the bike also needed a new head set, I brought it in earlier this week. Yesterday I received a call that the XP was ready. So yesterday afternoon my wife dropped off so I could pick it up. They installed a Shimano LX head set, 'cause that's the one that is the most reliable. The spokes of the rear wheel were tentioned so the wheel was true again, which means no more drag coming from the disc. And they removed some of the tension on the shifting cable, which caused the shifter to jump out of the highest gears. Since the weather was fine, I did not take the XP straight to home but made a wider tour. Really mild temperatures for this time of the year, so I put on my SPD-sandals and enjoyed the sun. Happy Easter to all of ya !

The new head set

7 comments:

Wim said...

Hoi Tihamér,

Mijn naam is Wim Huisman en ik zag in Ligfiets& een artikel over uw fiets de "Rans Stratus XP".
Ik zou erg graag ook zo'n fiets willen hebben, zou het mogelijk zijn om eens op uw fiets proef te rijden?

Met vriendelijk groeten, Wim Huisman

wfhuis@hotmail.com

allewedertje said...

Ik heb je al een mail teruggestuurd. Groeten.

Unknown said...

Hello Tihamér,
Your writeup in Ligfiets& and your blog are very well done and my interest for trying out the Rans Stratus XP is great. Is there a possibility you could perhaps being demonstrating this remarkable bike at the Cycle Vision on Saturday, July 3rd in Tilburg? I believe you may expect quite an audience and I'd love to try out your bike, next to many others, I am sure would. Or is there a dealer I could visit, or perhaps your domicile?
Cheers,
Johan Hegeman
Ede, Nederland
(joho.hegeman@gmail.com)

allewedertje said...

Unless it'll be raining cats and dogs, I'll be taking my XP to Cycle Vision yes.

Unknown said...

Dat is heel erg mooi. Als jij er zaterdag de 4e juli er zal zijn, dan hoop ik je te treffen. Naast mijn grote belangstelling voor de Rans, zou ik het ook fijn vinden je te vragen hoe jij deze fiets heb besteld uit de USA. Mocht je echter niet de 4e kunnen, maar zeg op vrijdag de 3e, dan hoor ik dat eveneens heel graag. Met vriendelijke groet, Johan

allewedertje said...

Johan, ik zal er zowel vrijdag als zaterdag zijn. Je zult de XP wel ergens geparkeerd zien staan of mij ergens bij de vrijwilligers opmerken.

Edgard said...

Beste Tihamèr,

Op Cycle vision heb ik reeds kennis gemaakt met uw xp. Is het mogelijk om eens een meer uitgebreide testrit te maken ?

mvg. Edgard

Edgard