Sunday, May 02, 2010

New (summer) tires

The Schwalbe Supremes tires were due for replacement and since summer is supposed to be coming, I ordered 2 Schwalbe Kojak 26 x 2.00 tires. I wanted something completely different, not that the Supreme is not a good tire ( I did a little over 10,000 km with them without any flat), but it's rather heavy and not so fast. A friend of mine adviced me to pick the Kojak, which is lighter and supposed to be faster. So a couple of days ago, I replaced the XP's tires.

Tire size is the same, but the Kojak is treadless. It also lacks a reflective lining, but since my rims have 3M Scotchlite stickers on them, that'll be no real problem at night. And to be honest, I quite like the looks of the black sidewalls of the tires !

I will try the new tires as soon as the weather improves, for it has been pretty rainy these last few days.

Schwalbe's Kojak 26 x 2.00

Update : today I used the XP to get groceries just across the border. Wow, what a big difference ! Not only has acceleration improved, but speed too ! I noticed that with the same effort I can now ride between 2 and 3 km/h faster, not bad ! Can't tell anything about puncture proofness or durability, but time will surely tell. At less than half the price of the Supreme, the Kojak is defenitaly staying on the XP for now (thank you Jonathan A. for recommending this tire) !

No comments: