Sunday, April 23, 2006

Learning the hard way ....

I rode my new XP a little over 300 miles so far and I like it more and more. The only thing that I can't seem to get used to, is the chopper bars. Not that they are bad (they offer a lot of positions and adjustments), but I miss the C-bar from my previous Stratus. So yesterday I decided to switch bars: I removed the chopper bar from the XP and the C-bar from my other Stratus. Compared to the C-bar on my old Stratus, the chopper bars are very easy to remove. The reason for this is that you can open up the handlebar stem from the XP, where as the stem on the old Stratus cannot be opened. After trying to open up the C-bar itself ( which allows you to remove the brake levers and the shifters ), you have to slide the handlebar through the stem.
Anyway, it took me about 20 minutes to remove both handlebars, so I could swap them. Turned out to be a bad idea : the C-bar with fairing did not work on the XP. Since the XP has a bigger front wheel, the bar ends up higher than with the 20" front wheel. I ended up looking straight into the C-bar fairing and could not look over it. It looked better than the chopper bar in my opinion, but it did not work. Damn !

It looks good, but it doesn't work ....

Well, the stem of the XP was already in its lowest position, but is a rather long stem, so why not cut off some of it, that would make the C-bar come down a bit. I took some measurements and concluded that if I cut off some of the stem, the C-bar could be lowered a few inches, probably enough to look over it once installed. Well, I was wrong ! After cutting the stem ( and the riser ) short, the C-bar still ended up too high and I was still looking straight into it ! It also turned out that I cut off too much of the riser, so the stem could not be attached firmly anymore ! So far for trying to fix somehting by myself (I should have known better, you're absolutely right !) ....

This is how short I cut the handlebar stem/riser .... too short !

I sent Rans an e-mail yesterday asking to send me a new stem and headtube pipe, so it'll take some time before I can ride the XP again...
And oh yes, somehting else I learned the hard way : now I understand why the XP's chopper bar fairing is so much smaller than the fairing on the C-bar, it allows you to look OVER the fairing while riding your bike !!!

3 comments:

Interesting facts said...

That's a cool bike man.

Unknown said...

can you tell me what is wrong with the chopper bar and why you like the c bar better? do they still make the c bar? I have an easy racer bar on my rans and I hate it. I am going to change to the three step chopper, but maybe the c bar would be better?

allewedertje said...

Brad, I guess that after so many miles on my old Stratus, I got used tot the C-bar. Now that I've ridden so many miles on my XP with the chopper bars, I prefer the chopper bars and don't miss the C-bars at all. The chopper bars give you way more possible hand positions and allows you to fine tune the set-up until you find your sweet spot.
Only thing I miss from the C-bars is the bar fairing that came with it, which was better on the C-bars : it was longer and thus closer to reach compared with the chopper bar fairing.