Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Adding mudflaps

I was finally able to take a longer ride today, a little over 2,5 hours. After days of rain it almost felt like spring : blue skies with white clouds and a lot of people of bicycles. Since my velomobile has been taken apart for a complete overhaul, I have been using my XP for commuting for the last week. I noticed that especially on wet surfaces, the water sprayed all underneath my legs and the seat. Also the top of the rear pannier rack got covered with a lot of dust and sand (part of my commuting trip includes a stretch of sand). A couple of months ago, I bought some mudflaps from SKS, but since they are black and my fenders are not, I did not install them. Today, before my ride, I finally installed them just to see if there' s any improvement. Can't tell anything about wet surfaces yet, but the mudflaps sure stop a lot of sand and dust from spraying all over the bike.
The fenders on the XP are SKS Bluemels and I originally wanted black ones, but according to my bike shop, they're only available in silver for 26" wheels. Bummer. Still looking for some nice black fenders though, with or without mudflaps ....
So far, I have ridden a little over 1840 miles on my XP.


mudflap with plastic pin (still needs to be cut)

No comments: